As always, there’s lots of Habitat news in this email. If you only have a moment to skim, here’s the TLDR version:
- Apply for a fully accessible Habitat Home (23 Blake Ave) by January 25
Meaning of Home Writing Contest is open until February 18!
- Students in grades 4, 5, and 6 can participate
- Now Hiring: Marketing & Outreach Intern (full-time, 1-year contract, NOHFC internship)
- 50% Off EVERYTHING in-store on Friday, January 21
- Next 50% off sale: Friday, February 4
- Donation Centre closed Tuesday, Jan 25 and Wednesday, Jan 26 for an exciting shipment of lots of brand new products!
- Please hold onto your donations until Jan 27 – we cannot accept donations through the front door.
- A new face at Habitat: Meet Michelle Knight, Assistant ReStore Manager
- Your stuff builds homes! Donate your household items to the Habitat ReStore
Apply for a Fully Accessible Habitat Home by January 25
Do you and your family dream of owning a safe, decent, affordable, and accessible home? Are traditional mortgage requirements or a down payment on a house preventing you from making this dream a reality?
We are accepting applications from families interested in owning a fully accessible Habitat Home at 23 Blake Avenue.
To qualify, eligible homeowners must be:
- In need of better housing (poorly maintained, unhealthy, or overcrowded housing; unaffordable rent; inaccessible housing for people living with disabilities)
- Willing to partner with Habitat (Habitat Homeowners volunteer a minimum of 500 hours with Habitat)
- Able to make affordable mortgage payments (Mortgage payments are made affordable because they do not exceed 30 percent of the gross household income including property taxes, and income is evaluated on a yearly basis. The minimum gross household income for the Blake Avenue build is $51,000.)
The house will be built using similar plans to Habitat’s 2020 build on Oakwood Drive. The three-bedroom, 1,290 square foot home will be a slab-on-ground build featuring a spacious kitchen, wide hallways and doorways, a roll-in shower, and lower-than-average light switches and thermostat.
In partnership with SalDan Construction Group, Habitat will break ground on their Blake Avenue build this spring. The home should be complete by the end of 2022.
Community members interested in applying for this Habitat Home must submit their expression of interest by January 25th at 4.00 p.m. Applications will be reviewed as they are submitted, so early submissions are strongly encouraged. Please visit www.habitatsault.ca to submit online.
As a non-profit, HFHSSMA relies on the generosity of volunteers, donors, and corporate sponsors to achieve its mission. If your business is interested in donating to, or sponsoring, the Blake Avenue build, please reach out to Chelsey Foucher, Fundraising & Marketing Coordinator, at email@example.com to discuss this opportunity.
Meaning of Home Writing Contest: January 3 – February 18
Students in Grades 4, 5, and 6 are asked to share what home means to them in a national writing contest that is now open and accepting entries. Three grand prize winners will each receive a $30,000 grant to help a local Habitat for Humanity build a place to call home for a family in need of affordable housing.
Every local student who enters the Meaning of Home contest earns a $10 donation towards Habitat for Humanity Sault Ste. Marie & Area. In addition to the grand prize winners, nine runners up will receive a $10,000 grant for their local Habitat build.
Teachers and parents can learn more and sign up in advance at www.meaningofhome.ca!
Founded by Sagen in 2007, the Meaning of Home contest has raised over $1.7 million to help build decent and affordable housing in communities across Canada. Over 80,000 students have shared the importance of home in poems and short essays. Last year a record-breaking 12,000 entries were received.
We’re Hiring: Marketing & Outreach Internship
Join our team as a Marketing and Outreach Intern (full-time, 1-year contract) to gain valuable experience in your field and make your community a better place!
Learn more about this opportunity at www.habitatsault.ca/now-hiring
Please send your cover letter and resume as one document to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 18 at 4:00 p.m.
This opportunity is supported by NOHFC! Eligibility requirements are as follows:
- New entrants into the workforce, transitioning to a new career, or unemployed/underemployed who are entering a new field;
- Have not previously participated in a NOHFC-funded internship;
- Are at least 18 years of age; and
- Reside, and be legally entitled to work, in Canada.
Habitat ReStore News
50% Off Sales
Mark your calendars! Our next 50% off sale takes place on Friday, January 21. Come to the Habitat ReStore at 32 White Oak Drive and get 50% off EVERYTHING in-store (even already reduced items!).
Next month, our 50% off sale will take place on Friday, February 4!
Donation Centre Closed January 25 & 26
Please note that our Donation Centre at 32 White Oak Drive will be closed on Tuesday, January 25 and Wednesday, January 26 to make way for an exciting gift-in-kind shipment (i.e. LOTS of exciting new products for generous retailers!).
Kindly hold onto your donations until Thursday, January 27, and be sure to stop by the ReStore in the following days to see what’s new!
A new face at Habitat: Meet Michelle Knight, Assistant ReStore Manager
There’s a new face at Habitat for Humanity! Michelle Knight is joining our Habitat family as our new Assistant ReStore Manager.
Michelle joined the Habitat ReStore team in January 2022. She has over 13 years in sales, customer, and safety experience in the hardware industry. Michelle possesses strong communication and training skills and loves to work in a team environment.
Michelle was born in Australia and recently became a resident of Canada in August 2021. Outside of work, Michelle likes to spend her time reading, cooking, and catching up with friends and family. When she is not at home, she likes to explore her local area with her husband, Robert.
Your Stuff Builds Homes!
Donate your gently used stuff to the Habitat ReStore at 32 White Oak Drive and help us raise money to build homes!
- Drop off: Tuesday – Saturday, 10 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- Free Pick up: Call 705-941-9646 or visit habitatsault.ca/restore
We also take scrap metal, batteries, and broken appliances/electronics!
Please only drop off your donations from Monday to Saturday, 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. when staff/volunteers are here to bring your items inside. Dropping off your donation outside of business hours leaves it out in the weather – turning it into garbage.