At a City Council meeting on September 20, attendees applauded after Mayor Christian Provenzano proclaimed the first Monday of October 2022 – October 3rd – as World Habitat Day in Sault Ste. Marie.
NOW THEREFORE, I, Christian Provenzano, as Mayor of the City of Sault Ste. Marie, do hereby proclaim October 3, 2022 as “World Habitat Day” in the city of Sault Ste. Marie and encourage residents to support Habitat for Humanity and learn more about the importance of affordable housing.Mayor Christian Provenzano
But what is World Habitat Day?
What is World Habitat Day?
In 1985, the United Nations designated the first Monday of October of every year as World Habitat Day to reflect on the state of our habitats, and on the basic right of all to adequate shelter. The Day is also intended to remind the world that we all have the power and the responsibility to shape the future of our cities and towns.
In 2022, World Habitat Day’s theme “Mind the Gap. Leave No One and Place Behind” looks at the problem of growing inequality and challenges in cities and human settlements and draws attention to the growing inequalities and vulnerabilities that have been exacerbated by the triple ‘C’ crises — COVID-19, climate and conflict.
The pandemic and recent conflicts have reversed years of progress made in the fight against poverty, resulting in the emergence of newly poor people—those who would have exited poverty in the absence of the pandemic but remain poor, and those who have fallen into poverty on account of the pandemic.https://www.un.org/en/observances/habitat-day
How can I observe World Habitat Day?
Great question! World Habitat Day is an excellent time to reflect on how you can support safe, decent, and affordable housing in Sault Ste. Marie and beyond.
- Support local housing initiatives
- Support global housing initiatives
- Raise awareness
- Spread the word about World Habitat Day and its significance by sharing this blog post and discussing the importance of having a safe, decent, and affordable place to call home with your friends, family, and colleagues
Mayor Provenzano’s support of Habitat
This is not the first year that Mayor Provenzano has proclaimed the first Monday of October as World Habitat Day in Sault Ste. Marie. In fact, the mayor has been making this proclamation, and supporting Habitat, for years.
Mayor Provenzano sat on Habitat’s Board of Directors back in 2004, and has been a fixture at Groundbreaking and Dedication Ceremonies since he was elected in 2015.
Habitat for Humanity continues to be a tremendous support to families in our community by assisting them with affordable home ownership. The need for affordable housing is immense, and the lasting impact it can have on homeowners and their families is undeniable. Our community is at its best when we care for and assist each other and helping families access home ownership is a terrific demonstration of that caring.Mayor Christian Provenzano (2022)
Upcoming Housing Advocacy
While there is a never a bad day to advocate for safe, decent, and affordable housing in your community, here are some upcoming dates to keep an eye out for:
- October 3 – World Habitat Day
- October 4 & 5 – Habitat on the Hill
- This October 4 and 5, Habitat for Humanity Canada will launch Habitat on the Hill with a small pilot event that will see 11 affiliates and Habitat Canada representatives participating in meetings with MPs in Ottawa. The objective will be to advocate for vital housing services and funding in both local communities and across Canada as well as highlighting Habitat Canada’s key policy priorities for the year ahead.
- November 22 – National Housing Day
- Each year, National Housing Day is held on November 22. It’s a day to recognize the important work done by housing partners across Canada to improve access to housing for everyone in Canada.
- November 29 – Giving Tuesday
- Giving Tuesday is a global movement unleashing the power of people and organizations to transform their communities and the world. Consider donating to Habitat in support of affordable housing!